Due to a substantial increase in the cost of lumber, many companies in and around Columbus, Ohio, are looking into overhead costs and how they can save money. One of those topics might be the kind of pallets that are being utilized and whether wood or plastic is better for your business.
Due to the global pandemic over the last year and a half, the cost of lumber has skyrocketed and demand is higher than ever. In fact, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Lumber Price Index, costs of lumber have risen over 120% since April 2020 to May 2021.
Comparing the Differences Between Materials
Here at Hope Timber Pallet, we build, supply, and remanufacture wooden pallets that are durable and recyclable to companies throughout Columbus, Ohio. Many companies continue to look for alternatives regarding utilizing different materials such as plastic or resin. Look at your industry and see what really works best for your product.
Let’s compare the differences. According to information collected by Freightera, a shipping company, here are some of the differences between plastic and wooden pallets.
- Industry: General Manufacturing
- Cost: Less than plastic
- Treatment: Must be treated to prevent fungus
- Weight Capacity: Around 3,000 lbs. (for a standard 48 x 40 pallet size)
- Lifespan: Needs constant maintaining
- Environmental Impact: Biodegradable
- Industry: Food/Beverage, chemicals, pharma
- Cost: 2-3 times more than wood
- Treatment: No treatment needed to prevent fungus
- Weight Capacity: Around 1,000 lbs. (for a standard 48 x 40 pallet size)
- Lifespan: Potentially over 10 years
- Environmental Impact: Non-Biodegradable
Considering Environmental Issues
The environment has been deteriorating for decades with the release of damaging emissions into the air due to human population growth.
Wooden pallets are easily recycled, can be refurbished, and reused. Here at Hope Timber Pallet, we don’t let anything go to waste. If the wood is too weak or damaged in some way, we will remove any nails and grind up the pallet to use for other products such as mulch or particle board for other companies.
In fact, our company purchases 3 million board feet of new lumber each year to build standard 48 x 40 as well as custom sized pallets. We recycle 100,000 cubic yards of material into landscape mulch per year and recover and recycle 50 tons of nails every year.
Plastic pallets are a little different regarding the environment. While we think of most plastics being recyclable, these kinds of pallets typically are not and are just thrown away because they cannot be repaired. While plastic pallets do have the potential to last longer, that doesn’t guarantee that they won’t be damaged in some other way in transit or while storing products.
“Hope” is the core of our name. According to Merriam-Webster, hope is defined to want something to happen or be true and to expect with confidence.
We want the environment to be healthy and clean for our future and all generations following. With Hope Timber Pallet, you don’t have to expect confidence; we deliver confidence in our service and products every time.
Selecting the Right Pallet for You
According to Inbound Logistics, there are several items to take into consideration when choosing the right kind of pallet for your product and company.
- Weight restrictions are important.
- Consider the industry you are working in.
- Will these pallets work with your management system?
- Understand the environmental impact.
- Think about the fragility of your product.
- Can the pallets serve multiple purposes?
- Examine the costs and investment needed.
- Familiarize yourself with your storage fire codes.
- Understand what kind of pallet you need for exporting goods.
How Can Hope Timber Pallet Help?
If you are not sure about the right pallet for your needs, contact us at Hope Timber Pallet. We can help with whatever kind of pallet you may need, and even let you know if there is something else we recommend using.
In addition, if you have wooden pallets, skids, or crates that you don’t need, we can also take care of and recycle them for you. We offer a variety of services to help with whatever you may need.
To learn more about pallets or find out more about paving the way for a different future for utilizing a no-waste solution with wood, please contact Hope Timber Pallet or call (740) 344-1788.